Saturday 3 May 2008

Disability is more than wheels

A very insightful post from Rachel a ME sufferer,which echoes my thoughts completely, here is a small excerpt:


"My major disability is fatigue, or rather an inability to exert myself in any form without a real impact on my health. Physical, mental and emotional efforts are challenging for me - too much of any and it leaves me with debilitating symptoms for hours, days, weeks, months.
When I talk to your call centre staff and am bombarded by questions like machine gun fire, my brain becomes foggy and my glands start to ache. My body begins to crumple. Your tick boxes do not fit me. You’re impatient when I don’t understand on first explanation or when I need clarification. You speak to me like I’m a child when all I need is a different pace. Your script doesn’t fit with my life and my needs - yet you get frustrated with me.
I’m not asking for your pity. I’m not asking for anything expensive. What I want is something simple. I want your understanding."

2 comments:

Sue said...

So pleased that you liked the video. Well done for seeing the week through.

I don't do the prompt every day. I use the prompt in my own way. I am not a photographer, but I do love Photoshop.

And, I totally understand this post. I have very different health issues to you, (rheumatiod arthritis), but none the less, I totally get the issue here with fatigue.

May post later . . . may not!

Enjoy your weekend :-)

Sue

Anonymous said...

Ooooh! Thanks for featuring my post :o) I'm honoured.

I like your edit too.