Wednesday 7 January 2009

Xronia Polla

Today is Yiannis name day. In Greece, everyone celebrates the "Name Day" of the saint that bears the same name. Name days are more important than birthdays. If he were at home in Crete, he would get together with family and friends, but he is here and stuck with us. In Crete his family may roast a pig, here he has gone out for Pizza with Katie.
We did make a effort though, years of having a Greek Brother-In-Law has taught me how important this is. He got presents,cake,wine, balloons and a phone call from his family,I hope he has enjoyed his day.
And if you happen to know a Greek called Yiannis here is what you say

Xronia Polla


3 comments:

canadacole said...

My family is Irish but my Uncle John's business partner for decades was a wonderful Greek man. From day one he called John Yiannis, and now we all do. I'll have to remember to drop him a Xronia Polla! Thanks for the tip!

Anonymous said...

my manager at work used to live in Greece and she told us about it once.

I'm not sure if there is a St Hannah lol. There is St Anne though.

Sue said...

I read this . . . I thought I had sent best wishes his way . . . oh well age I guess :-9

It was thoughtful of you to do this for him :-) What a lovely gesture :-)

Hope they had a good evening.