Thursday 3 July 2008

The Graduate

The sun didn't shine but the rain didn't fall and I made it through Tuesday's graduation, mostly sitting, somewhat coherent and always smiling. I tend to do that a lot....smile. For people with ME conversations can be difficult, as my brain fights desperately to process what is being said and reciprocate a reply it can feel as if a thousand people are talking at the same time, my learned coping mechanism is to nod and smile a lot, not so hard really and if I manage to throw in the odd word then I have managed to fool everybody. It was a fantastic day, and I saw it through to the end. A pre-ceremony reception with her "Prof". G has raved about this man for years and after meeting him I could see why, he is a charming old-fashioned gentleman,it was a delight to spend some time with him. The graduation ceremony itself lasted just over an hour and was followed by a parade of the graduates through the cloisters accompanied by a piper, all very emotional. Finally a champagne reception and photographs. True to form I clicked away like a woman possessed...what else was I supposed to do, here a just a few.

























Glasgow University has some lovely old buildings, it reminds me a of Hogwarts



















































This is the skeleton of a male Indian Elephant,it stands in the university museum

















Have been legless ever since but it was worth every moment. Next achievement, tomorrow's wedding.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's amazing - I went to DMU Bedford (Before it became Uni of Bedfordshire) Lansdowne campus was all victorian facades of buildings but then all kinda modern inside. Then Polhill was more modern as they built a couple of new buildings in my last year. What did you study? What did you pass with?

Kaz said...

Fab photos. Well done Gemma - 'auntie' Kaz is very proud of you!

Igotmebabe said...

Hannah, it was my daughter who graduated, she is now a Batchelor of Science and refuses to make a cup of tea