Friday 22 February 2008

My Friend


This is my friend Willie and he told me today he has cancer. There is a house being built next to me ( long story and ongoing stress) and Willie has been there since the start of the build last May. He is the only good thing that has come from this house being built. I have spoken to him almost every day. I said to him "Willie you shouldn't be down that hole" He said "don't you worry about me I'm fine". He is in his eighties and can do more than I can. I take him cups of coffee, he carries my shopping in from the car. If he doesn't see me for a couple of days, he checks that I am OK, he tells my daughters "be good to your mum". He doesn't judge, he accepts that I am ill and tells me never to give up that one day I will be well. My dog loves him. I am sad and upset, I don't want him to be sick, I don't want him to die, I want him to stay my friend.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG! I read this and ended with a tear in my eye! He sounds so lovely - wouldn't you just love him as your grandad?

Igotmebabe said...

He is lovely Rosie and I think he would be a great grandad, he has the hospital again next Friday. When I talk to him now its hard to keep the tears from my eyes.